Guide to attend one of the most significant events in the history of electronic music: Ultra Miami at Bayfront Park.
Let's move 10 years ago. It all starts with friends. Accustomed to listening to music on YouTube, we decided to change and search related videos. At that moment, a looping video called RELIVE ULTRA MIAMI 2012 (Official Aftermovie). We didn't know what the festival was and its location, so we entered it.
At first we only listened to the audio, until the moment you hear Spaceman, Ladi Dadi, Superlove…and you are forced to watch the video. We were so used to seeing videos of festivals in Europe that such a different video, in a few years, would mark one of the best experiences of our lives. "One day we will step on this place" we laughed, knowing that at that moment it was practically impossible for us.
Now, let's move forward 5 years. We had visited 2 low-cost festivals such as Electro Beach Music Festival (located on the border between Spain and France, in Port-Barcares) and the Meo Sudoeste in Zambujeira do Mar. The leap had to be made, and Tomorrowland and Ultra were the chosen festivals. That festival so unknown at that time for us, stood as the number 1 festival in the world. It was the next step after attending Tomorrowland. As of today, in 2022, this is our second edition of Ultra and hopefully not the last.
- TICKETS -
They don't usually sell out until a week or two before the festival. It goes in phases and the first phase always runs out shortly after opening. There are usually no problems to get it, but yes, you have to be attentive. As for the price, the ticket is cheaper than what the dollars mark when converting to the euro, but you'll have a problem, taxes and shipping will raise you 100 dollars plus the price. The average ticket price is around 450-550 euros. You'll receive the ticket weeks before the start of the festival, with a code on the back to activate it. You must do it immediately, since if you don't, you won't be able to access the festival.
Once the attendance to the festival is confirmed with the ticket, we'll look for which airline to fly with. In this edition, we travel with Air Europa, but you can also find direct flights with Iberia at a price of 300-350 euros without adding billing. It's really not necessary to check in, it's enough to have a sweatshirt, long jeans in case you want to go to an after-party and a raincoat in case it rains at the festival.
- ACCOMMODATION -
Once the tickets and the flight were purchased, one step remained: the accommodation. If you want to find an apartment near the Ultra site, the most affordable would be Airbnb, but keep in mind that it won't be cheap if you decide to wait for the last days. On the other hand, if your idea is to attend Ultra and as many events as possible, we recommend a hostel, since you'll only go to sleep. There is no average price since everything depends on the location. The closer you are to Bayfront Park, the more expensive it will be, although if you're determined to go, there are currently accommodations for 1000 euros for a maximum of 6 people for 4 days.
- INFORMATION NEEDED TO TRAVEL -
Visa: In order to enter the US you'll need to obtain a travel authorization called ESTA. you can fill it here. Normally it usually confirms in 24-48 hours and its price is around 14 euros. You must always travel with your passport, DNI won't allow you to fly.
Health insurance: Unlike Spain, where health is public, in countries like the US we will be unprotected against all kinds of mishaps, so health insurance is recommended. We contract the Standard insurance through the page of IATI Insurance. It's quite cheap and covers a maximum of 300.000 euros.
COVID-19: After the pandemic, to be able to move to the US you need to have the COVID certificate with 2 doses and without expiration, In addition to having made you a antigen test 24 hours before flying. You must inform your airline if it is necessary to carry out any other document.
- ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL / MIAMI MUSIC WEEK -
Now yes, it's time to land in Miami. During the week of Ultra Miami, everything is focused on the Miami Music Week. Pool parties, night parties, closed DJ events and even outside the musical area you can attend an NBA game, visit the Everglades or even go to the Universal parks in Orlando. Please note that some parties will be +21 (it's the age of majority established in the US) and others +18Therefore, if you're of legal age in Spain, you'll only have access to a certain type of event.
And now, Ultra Miami. Really, it's inexplicable what you feel at a festival like this. Bayfront Park is a great place to build a festival on. Make a difference over other festivals. By day, by night, it didn't matter, it's equally surprising. This festival, this city… convey a different feeling. Such is, that the stage itself is capable of enhancing a dj's set. During the last years many artists have chosen Ultra as the place to retire, return or even make their set more exclusive. The biggest example could be Swedish House Mafia or Hardwell, who have resumed their musical career here.
Regarding the secondary stages, each one has its function. Most hosts are located in UMF Radio, as it has been this year with Dirty Workz, STMPD RCRDS or Gud Vibrations. Techno is divided between Megastructure, headed by Carl Coxy RESISTANCE. Live Stage offers the most exclusive live performances and Ultra Worldwide every year hosts the full variety of musical genres with a multitude of established or growing artists.
- TIPS -
- First and most important tip, don't let alcohol or drugs prevent you from enjoying a magnificent experience. Enjoy without excesses to be able to remember what you'll possibly discuss with your friends for years. Respect each person at the festival and help them in case they're not well.
- If you want to access with a backpack, it should be transparent. You will find both in the merchandising, and in any store outside the festival.
- Regarding the bathrooms, always try to go to the furthest from the mainstage. The ones closest to UMF Radio are the most affordable since they tend to have less crowds than other stages. As for drinks, camelbaks are allowed, which you can refill for free at various stations throughout the festival. If you buy, prices range from 5 dollars for both water and red bull (also coca cola, but you can only find it in the entrance hall of the festival) to approximately 14 dollars for a cocktail. Regarding food, you have several food trucks throughout the festival.
- Don't wait to enter, especially the first day since it starts later. Like you, many people want to enter and queues are quite long to gain access. Plan each of the sets you want to see and use applications such as Ultra or Clashfinder to be able to organize yourself better.
- Not just for Ultra Miami, for all festivals. Wear pants, either with zippers or with a small pocket to prevent theft. In each festival multiple robberies take place and surely you want to keep all those memories that you have recorded during those days.
- Investigate all transportation options after Ultra is over. In case you stay far from the festival and after 12 non-stop hours at the festival, your last option will be to walk. Uber is possibly collapsed due to the multitude of requests received, so the subway (free in this edition) or walking 1 or 2 kilometers to ask for an Uber are the most recommended options.
- If you don't have roaming, get a SIM card. Internet is increasingly necessary, more specifically in a festival that receives 70.000 people, so you'll need to communicate in case you or any colleague have gotten lost. Currently in T-Mobile you will find unlimited data and for 30 days a SIM for more or less 60 euros.
In short, try it! Never be left with the desire. No matter how far you're, no matter how many hours of flight, apply the typical phrase of «You have to enjoy it at least once in your life». Many times they'll ask you: "Tomorrowland, EDC or Ultra?". I'd love that thanks to this post, you could answer it from the experience of having been, because all festivals undergo changes and you never know if they'll be for better or worse. We leave you with this little compilation of what Ultra 2022 was.